1)”You sure have your hands full!”
2)”You’ve got your work cut out for you.”
3)”You guys need to try for that boy next.”
4)”I bet you feel out numbered in that house.” (To daddy)
5)”Oh man. Three? Just wait until they’re all teenagers.”
6)”Three GIRLS!? I sure feel sorry for you.”
7)”I hope you know the bathrooms will never be available again.”
These are some of the typical comments we hear on a very regular basis. If you have a least a couple of your own then you’ve probably heard a few of these too. I’m not hating. I realize most people are attempting to make friendly conversation but I will also add that it’s occasionally difficult to force a smile in return when it’s the 5th “friendly conversation” in a row.
That being said, I’d like to address a few of those comments for those who may still have concerns.
1. Yes, our hands are full and so are our hearts. Seriously though, we do already realize that two hands and three kids equals a “handful”. It’s a most apparent fact when we are navigating through a busy parking lot but for some reason that seems to be the prime time to distract me to point out the obvious. Confession: It kind of makes me want to follow you into the store and occasionally call out obvious facts to you while you’re shopping like “hey, you’ve sure got some brown hair on your head.” Or “Whoa there, that’s a really red shirt you have on today!”
2. Our girls are very much like a full time job… only better because we don’t invest in them for money or fame or power or promotions or extra vacation days. We invest in them because we love them and the return far exceeds all of those things I just named combined. No paycheck or job title beats an “I love you, mom and dad.” An also equally improbably fact, it’s completely acceptable to have our hands full of popsicles, crayons, bubbles, dress up clothes, and dirt all while laughing as loud as you can while “on the clock. “Call it work if you must.
3. A boy would be awesome but was definitely never the goal. Honestly, we used to just hope for healthy kids. KC made us laugh (and cry) a lot for a while there. We are so thankful and blessed beyond measure for good health. But, even on the “unhealthy” days we are able to see that any time at all that we are given with our children is so precious and should be treated as such. Daddy recently bought girls shirts that say Girls Rule and Boys Drool. Our oldest thinks it’s awesome. A brother would’ve totally ruined that moment.
4. I’ve NEVER heard a guy complain about being loved by four girls at the same time. I prefer to assume there is some jealousy hidden in that comment. And I should note that there is ALWAYS a girl on Daddy’s side. It’s typically always the same one but right or wrong, she’s Team Dad.
5. We are blissfully enjoying the days before we are the parents of three teenagers. I mean, DUH!!!
6. I’m going to assume that (a) you don’t have three girls of your own which means (b) I feel sorry for you! So there!!
I know there is always option (c) you do have three girls and you’re still complaining in which case I feel sorry them.
Either way you look at it, you lose!
7. I guess we are thankful that we technically have a 2 1/2 bathroom home but that’s really weird to talk about with a stranger. I’d much prefer you comment about numbers 1-6.
So, I hope this clears things just a little bit and makes you smile a little too. If you’re one of those commenters, carry on. I’m likely to smile but you can now know what I’m probably thinking behind the smile.
After thought; I thought it was pretty neat that the day after I wrote this I read in my Timehop app that two years a woman and her 8-10ish year old daughter approached me at checkout and commented on my full buggy. I can’t remember exactly what she said but I do recall that she was referring to fullness of kids and not groceries. Then she followed it up with “could we please unload your cart for you?”
I hate that I’d forgotten this moment but I vowed to become that type of person. The person whose actions speak louder than her words. ❤️
Thank you, Sweet Petunia Clothing, for the adorable outfits for all THREE girls! 😘